Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Info Post


When people think of getting older, sometimes they picture someone as frail and not able to do much. According to this article, a bigger number in age doesn't mean someone has to just sit around.

 Jimmy Carter, now 88, on aging and health
How have you been able to stay so active?I have been extremely lucky. Rosalynn and I get a lot of exercise. She is a strict dietitian and a very good cook. She makes all our family meals.
I was an avid runner until I was 80 and my knees gave out. I have two new knees, and those have worked well. Now I swim regularly at home and when I travel. I’m active around the house, and with painting and woodworking.
...
How do you prepare for when you can no longer do what you’re doing?It hasn’t happened yet, when my mental abilities will no longer allow it. I know it will come and I am prepared for it. I make furniture and paint. I have a good workshop, and I can make complicated pieces of furniture now. I paint, and I have become a pretty good artist. I can write. I have written 27 books in my life.
If there comes a time [when an active life isn’t possible], we will stay in our home in Plains, we have our little church. We have our family. We have a lot of love.
What gives you energy?I have been a college professor for 31 years at Emory University. I am in touch with young people nearly every day. I have great-grandchildren that are 1 and 2 all the way to my children who are nearing retirement age. I am around a lot of different perspectives.
read more here

0 comments:

Post a Comment